It’s December and if you’re like me, you are thinking about the goals you set last year and the ones you want to establish this year.
Here are 7 tips to make your goals a reality of your future:
- Set realistic goals. The reason some of us quit trying is because we set unrealistic goals for ourselves. We set our goals as if we have all the time in the world. Don’t expect to exercise 5 days a week if you really only have 3 days with enough free time to do so.
- Write it down. The human brain can only hold so much information. When life gets a little crazy, trying to remember a list can be almost impossible. Take this responsibility off of your brain and write down your goals. Keep the list where you can see it and look at it every day.
- Choose a few goals. Trying to accomplish 10 goals can be exhausting. Try setting one and then move to another. This creates momentum and a feeling of accomplishment.
- Break it down. If you can break your goal down into tiny actions that are almost too easy and build on them, you are more likely to reach your goals. For example, if you want to start drinking water instead of soda and tea, start with drinking just one glass of water a day. Once you are doing well, bump it to two glasses. Or drink water with lunch every day and then move to lunch and dinner.
- Just keep going. We are human and we mess up. Sometimes life gets crazy and we get distracted. If you find yourself slacking on your goal, don’t quit! Deal with the disappointment and keep going! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and, eventually, you’ll get there!
- Evaluate progress and adjust. Maybe some of your goals were unrealistic or maybe you are progressing faster than anticipated and are ready to take on something a bit more challenging. Set aside time periodically to evaluate your progress and adjust accordingly.
- One day at a time. Thinking about all the things we want to do and the challenges that lie before us can be overwhelming. You can’t do anything about tomorrow, so just focus on today. If you mess up today, you can always try again tomorrow.
January has always represented a fresh start! But over the past couple of years I’ve learned that every day can be a fresh start! A couple of years ago I read “Today Matters” by John Maxwell. This book has been a catalyst for real change in my life. He says, “You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily, the secret to your success is found in your daily routine.” So don’t wait until January to start setting goals and putting change into action, start today!
I’d love to hear if you found these tips helpful or have any tips that have helped you reach your goals as well! Let me know by leaving a comment below! Also, you can be the first to know about new blog posts by subscribing at the bottom of this page!